Solar prints are produced using a polymer plate with steel backing, the same as used in the commercial printing industry. It etches through the exposure to Ultra Violet rays.
- Design your image on a transparency.
- Sandwich transparency onto the polymer plate and expose to sunlight.
- The light hardens the polymer emulsion through clear parts of your design and
stays soluble in blackened parts.
- Wash the soluble polymere off the plate, then rub ink into the grooves.
- Intaglio printing - press your etched metal plate onto paper under pressure.